Best Hunting Video Camera of 2018 & Buying Guide
If you are an avid hunter and you want to make some awesome hunting videos, then you are going to want to make sure that you buy a camera that is capable of creating you some awesome content.
Unfortunately, if you don’t know a whole lot about cameras, this can be a pretty difficult task and it can take a lot of research to find the perfect camera that you can use for your hunting videos.
To help make this task a bit easier for you, we have broken down various aspects of a hunting camera in order to help you know what you should be on the lookout for. Additionally, we have also compiled a list of our picks for the best hunting video cameras on the market so that you have a better idea as to what some of the many good options are.
Crenova Game and Trail Hunting Camera
How important is infrared, does it really help you to see at night or in the dark?
If you are looking for the best hunting video camera that you can use at any time other than just the middle of the day, you are going to want to make sure that the camera has infrared built into its design. Infrared is essentially a form of light that is invisible to the human eye. For this reason, cameras are not capable of being able to see extreme distances with the use of infrared technology as it is just another form of light and fades out over a distance.
Does zoom on a hunting video camera really make a difference?
If you really want to make sure that you know the animal you are looking at when you are reviewing footage from your hunting video camera, it is important to make sure that the camera is powerful enough to be able to make out animals that are in the distance. In order to be able to accomplish this task, you are going to want to find a hunting video camera that is capable of both producing a clear picture as well as one that contains lens which allows it to be able to capture things at a distance.
Is it important to look at the screen when deciding which unit to purchase?
This depends whether you plan to watch the footage directly on the camera or whether you plan to stream the footage to a computer or to a television for the sake of convenience. If you choose that you want to be able to view the footage directly on the camera, you are going to want to make sure that the screen is large enough to be able to see what exactly you have captured, especially if you don’t have the best vision.
In addition, you should also check to see just how many dots are incorporated into the screen so that you can check to see its density and overall quality. A screen that has the most amount of dots per .1 of an inch is going to produce the best footage, which is something that you should consider calculating for units you are interested in and remember to keep in mind.
How are different hunting video camera powered?
Different hunting video cameras are powered by different means. These types of cameras tend to last for a very long time as a result of only going off when motion is detected in front of the camera. Often times you will find that these types of cameras aren’t rechargeable for this very reason. The cameras will normally be powered by the use of batteries and it is commonplace to find them powered by AA batteries so you should expect to see that during your investigation for a new hunting video camera.
What modes should I expect to find?
Almost all hunting video cameras have the ability to be able to change into different modes. The main two modes that you are going to normally spot on a camera are the picture or video mode. Basically, the difference between these two modes is that when motion is detected either a video recording will begin for a certain length of time or the unit will take photos in quick succession in order to try and capture the animal or thing that moved in front of the camera.
How do photos per detection influence my results?
When motion is detected in front of the camera at any moment of time, a hunting video camera is programmed so that it takes photos in quick succession of one another in order to try to capture whatever was moving in front of the camera. If you want a camera that will definitely capture the animal that you are trying to spot, you are going to want to make sure that the camera has both a fast trigger speed as well as the ability to take lots of photos in quick succession, the more photos, the more likely it is that you are going to get the results that you desire.
Should I look for something with a weatherproof or a waterproof design?
If you plan to leave your camera outside for extended periods of time, you are going to want to make sure that it is either a waterproof or weatherproof design. If you choose to get something that is weatherproof, just make sure that you don’t drop the unit in a puddle or any body of water for that matter as it may ruin the camera.
Top 4 Best Hunting Video Camera Reviews
If you have a decent size budget for a hunting video camera and you want to get something that has both good night vision as well as a decent size display, this may just be the unit for you. This camera comes with or without a memory card at the checkout, which is awesome if you want storage space and want to save some money.
- This hunting video camera is capable of recording in 1080p HD
- The camera can come with or without a 16 GB memory card when you make your purchase
- The camera has a one second trigger so that you can be sure that you will be able to capture the content that you desire
- This camera has 12 megapixels in its design, which is ideal for a very clear high-quality image
- The unit comes with a one year warranty
- At night the camera is capable of being able to see movement at a distance of up to 65 feet
- The camera uses a 120-degree lens, which allows you to be able to capture the animals that you want with ease
- The higher price tag of this camera may be too much for some people
The unit is more than capable of being able to capture HD content and can even capture footage at a distance. The camera comes with a pretty nice warranty and you will definitely be pleased with the quality of images that this 12-megapixel design can take. This is the ideal camera for a beginner or even an experienced hunter who wants to take quality footage.
2. Stealth Cam
If you want to get a hunting camera with one of the largest LCD displays on the market, you may be interested in this camera design. The camera is capable of adjustable brightness and has an expandable memory card slot in its design, which is ideal for storing lots of footage.
- The camera has a headphone jack so that you can listen to recorded audio
- The camera has expandable storage up to 64 GB
- The unit comes with a nylon wrist strap so that you have a harder time accidentally dropping the unit is powered by the use of four AAA batteries allowing the camera to be able to have some decent battery life
- A massive 4.3-inch display is used on this camera, which is awesome for reviewing your footage
- Due to the higher megapixel design of this camera, the unit allows you to be able to pan and zoom recorded images
- This unit is designed to be durable and impact resistant
- This unit does not have a super long battery life like some of the other hunting video cameras on the market
As long as you don’t feel like you need a camera with an insane battery life, you will love what this camera has to offer. The large LCD will allow you to be able to easily view the videos and pictures that you have taken on this device and the unit allows you to be able to navigate through them with ease. If you want a camera capable of quality images and don’t want to spend a fortune, you may want to consider purchasing this device.
If you are looking for a camera that is capable of being able to record HD content, you should make sure that you check this one out. This camera is capable of taking some awesome pictures thanks to its high megapixel design. If you can afford to pay for a higher budget camera and want something that is going to last, you should think about purchasing this one.
- This camera is capable of being able to record in 1080p HD
- The camera has a 2 inch LCD, which may not be huge, but it is capable of showing you the content you have taken
- The camera has infrared in order to be able to take distance photographs and videos at night time
- The camera is fully waterproof so that you can leave it outside and not have to worry about running into problems with the unit
- A three-year accident protection warranty, as well as a two-year data recovery warranty, are available at the time of purchase
- The unit runs on eight AA batteries, which is ideal if you want the camera to last a long time
- The camera has expandable memory storage up to 32 GB
- This camera definitely does not have a very large LCD and it may be hard to see your content if you don’t have the best vision
If you can stand the two inch LCD display that this device has, you are going to like everything else that this camera has to offer. The unit is completely capable of being able to produce content in HD 1080p, which is an extremely good quality for any hunting video camera. If you want something that will last you, this camera is built to be durable and long lasting.
If you have a lower budget for a camera and still want to be able to record content in 1080p HD, you may like the looks of this camera. The camera has a high amount of megapixels and is also capable of some pretty good night vision. With a fast trigger rate and a one-year warranty offered from the manufacturer, you can’t go wrong with this great hunting camera.
- The unit has expandable storage up to 32 GB
- If you want a unit that has a long battery life, this one can last for up to 3 months on a single set of batteries
- The camera has a 12-megapixel design, which is more than many hunting cameras have at this price range
- The camera has a 0.7-second trigger so that you don’t miss animals that run past the camera
- The camera is capable of night vision up to a distance of 65 feet, which is definitely a respectable number
- A three of four-year protection warranty for this product is available when you make your purchase
- The display on this unit is only 2 inches, which is not very big
If you want something cheap, but don’t want to sacrifice a long warranty, this has just the options that you are looking for. The camera produces some very high-quality footage both at night and during the daytime. This is definitely a camera that you will want to look into if you don’t want to spend a bunch of money on a hunting video camera.
After going through this article, hopefully, you now feel as though you have a better grasp on what you may want to look for in a hunting video camera of your own. There is no camera that is perfect for everyone and the best camera for you could be much different than that of someone else. It really depends on whether you are going to be the one holding the camera as well as what time of day you are going to be using the camera the most in. Good luck in your search for as new hunting camera and hope you get yourself something awesome!