Best Vlogging Microphone for Youtube of 2018 & Buying Guide
If you are currently just using your regular camera microphone, you may have noticed that the sound isn’t of the best quality. If you like to make vlogs and you are looking to get yourself a brand new microphone, then you have come to the right place. It isn’t easy to be able to pick out a microphone if you don’t know what you are doing. It is important to make sure that you know the things that you should look for in a quality microphone beforehand so that you aren’t disappointed with your purchase.
In order to help you with this process, we have come up with a list of our picks for the top vlogging microphones on the market and we have broken them down for you as well as made a buyer’s guide for you so that you can make sure that you are getting something that is of a high quality, no matter your experience.
Rode VMGO Video Mic GO
Rode VMPR VideoMic Pro R
Rode VideoMic Me
PowerDeWise Professional Grade
What kind of a budget should I set aside for a microphone?
Fortunately, even a cheap microphone is going to be better at recording audio than that of your mobile device, but it is still important to set a budget so that you can stay within reasonable means. It is important to think about just how popular your vlog is and decide whether the microphone will pay for itself over time or whether you are paying out of pocket for the microphone.
If you are already making money from your vlog, increasing the quality of your audio is likely to increase your followers and therefore also increase your income. However, a good microphone is not going to make a difference if you have hardly any followers yet. Remember that you can always upgrade your microphone in the future.
How do I know if a microphone is convenient for my needs?
If you have a camera for a vlog and you are already making content, but want to increase the quality of your audio, you should look for a microphone that suits the style of your vlog. If you do a vlog where you simply sit down and discuss things, you should look for a microphone that attaches to your camera so that you can have high-quality audio without any equipment near your face.
However, if you do a walking and talking vlog, you should consider looking for a microphone that has a headphone design to allow you to talk nice and close to the microphone and help to keep outside noise out of your recording.
Should I go with a camera microphone or a phone microphone?
If you want to have the best sound quality, you should probably go with the camera microphone. However, if you are looking for something that is easier to plug in and use and that is smaller in design, you may want to go with a phone microphone. Either way, always make sure that your equipment is compatible before you make a purchasing decision so that you can get a microphone that is going to work the first time around.
How do I know if the microphone is compatible with my camera?
In order to find out if a microphone is compatible with your camera, you need to look to see what sort of a port the microphone uses in its design. You are generally going to find that microphones just use an AUX port on your camera to plug into the unit in order to record the footage that you need. So, make sure that you take a look at your camera beforehand to make sure that you have all of the ports that you need in order to be able to use the microphone to suit your recording needs.
Is frequency range important?
If you want your viewers to really be able to capture emphasis in your voice, you are going to want to get a microphone that has a decent frequency range. Frequency range is normally given in Hz or kHz.
Typically, a human can hear anything that is from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, but children often have better hearing and can hear higher frequencies that are as high as 24 KHZ. Keep these figures in mind as you look for a microphone and you are much more likely to be able to find a microphone that is capable of being able to produce quality content.
What should I look for in terms of a microphone battery?
You will find that almost all microphones use a battery so that they are capable of being able to record higher quality audio. Generally, you are going to find that cameras use AA, AAA or 9-volt batteries in their design. The more power that the microphone has in it, the longer the microphone is going to last you for before needing to replace the batteries on the unit.
What should I look for in terms of a warranty on a microphone?
Generally, microphones are products that are pretty hard to damage and you are often going to find a pretty long initial warranty of between one and two years on a brand new unit. If, however, you want a longer warranty on a microphone there is almost always an extended option available at the checkout unless you go with a really cheap microphone for your vlog.
Top 4 Best Vlogging Microphone for Youtube Reviews
If you are looking to pick up a cheap microphone, then this design may be of interest to you. The unit is capable of plugging into your smartphone via a regular headphone jack and has a mounting clip on it, which allows you to easily set the microphone in front of you so that you can clearly hear yourself speak in your vlog.
- The design has built-in noise cancellation, which helps to make for better recordings
- The design is built so that you don’t need a battery in order to be able to use the microphone
- Comes with a storage case and a Velcro extension cord so that you can walk and talk
- The company offers a satisfaction guarantee on their product, which can give you some peace of mind with your purchase
- This device can be used on a camera, laptop or smartphone and is quite small, which helps with portability
- Frequency range of 50-16,000 Hz is not bad, but it also is not top of the line in terms of high pitch sound
As long as you don’t need to record high pitch noises and you want a budget microphone, this unit is definitely capable of doing an awesome job for your vlog. The microphone is easy to use and easy to mount wherever the most convenient place is for you is. If you are on a budget, you will want to consider this device.
If you want to purchase a high-end compact microphone, the video mic GO may just be what you have been looking for. This microphone was designed to be used specifically with smartphones in order to produce quality audio on the GO. The unit is capable of being used in a regular 3.5 mm headphone jack which makes it extremely convenient to use.
- The unit uses a 9-volt battery in its design, which allows you to be able to record better audio and allows the microphone to last for a long time before dying
- The unit has a frequency range of 100Hz to 16 kHz, which is very good for the price of the microphone
- With your purchase of the mic, you get a year warranty and a one-year extension on that warranty if you register the product online
- High-quality ABS construction makes this microphone quite a durable little device
- The unit is very lightweight in design, which helps out portability and makes the device easier to store
- Furry windshield on the microphone helps to prevent noise that you don’t want to be recorded from being recorded
- This unit is specifically meant to be used for smartphones
- Cannot be used with the iPhone 7 without the use of a dongle
As long as you are planning to use the microphone on the go, this is the ideal solution for your needs. The quality of audio that this device is capable of is definitely top of the line. If you have a decent budget for a microphone and you want to make sure you get something that will produce good sound for your vlog, you are not going to be disappointed if you choose to purchase this device.
If you have a decent chunk of money set aside for a microphone and want the top of the line audio for your vlog, this could very well be the microphone for you. The unit can record audio at spectacular frequencies that range from 40 Hz to 20 kHz. This microphone is built to be compatible with cameras, laptops as well as smartphone devices.
- The microphone uses a 9-volt battery, which helps it to be able to produce quality audio
- The unit plugs in through a 3.5 mm headphone jack, which is very convenient in most cases
- The microphone is made to last for over 70 hours on a single battery
- If you register this microphone online, you can get a 10-year warranty with your purchase, which is simply awesome
- A furry windshield comes with your purchase in order to keep outside noise out of your recordings
- The higher price of this microphone will be no doubt out of reach for some people’s budgets
As long as you have a high budget for a microphone and want premium quality sound for your vlog, you will like the looks of this microphone. The mic is super easy to use and it is nice that is can be used for phones, laptops as well as cameras. This is definitely a microphone that you will want to consider if you can afford it as it is top notch quality!
If you want to get a microphone that is around the middle of the pack as far as quality is concerned, you may want to consider this microphone. The unit uses a 9-volt battery as well as a 3.5 mm headphone output, which makes it super easy and convenient to use, regardless of the device that you are using it with.
- The microphone has a frequency range of 100 Hz to 20 kHz, which is awesome for the price tag
- The mic comes with a one year warranty, which can be expanded to two years if you register the product
- Comes with a furry shield to prevent outside noise
- Designed to be used with smartphones quickly and easily
- Flexible mounting bracket makes it easy to attach the microphone wherever is convenient for you
- The microphone works with Android and Apple devices
- If you only have a low budget for a microphone it may be out of reach for you
As long as you aren’t specifically looking for a camera microphone and you have a decent size budget, you won’t be disappointed with what this unit has to offer. The microphone is entirely capable of creating awesome audio for your vlogs. With its convenient small size and long warranty, it is hard to go wrong purchasing this microphone that is made by such a well-known manufacturer in the audio industry.
After reading this article, hopefully, you now feel as though you have a better grasp as to what type of microphone you should get so that you can make the best vlogging videos you have ever made. Sound can really make a big difference when it comes to how good of an experience your viewers have and is definitely not an aspect of your videos that you should be neglecting. Best of luck with your search for a new microphone and good luck in your vlogging videos.